Saturday, March 21, 2009

Too many guitars?

Recently, Sara and I had company over for the evening. As is the
custom, we give the 25 cent tour on your first visit to our humble
abode. This entails seeing all of the lovely tile work that Sara has
created and installed in our house. (Sara Is a potter who does just
about anything made of clay that does not involve a potters wheel.
The wheel just isn't her thing.) The first floor is decorated
according to Sara's likes. This is a good thing because she has a
really good eye for detail and balance. It takes me a while to
find the form in a decorating scheme that she seems to see in a
flash. I can't imagine what she could have done if she had married
someone with more resources than ol' Geno. That's what you get
if you marry for love.

Upstairs, are the assorted sleep chambers. Our bedroom is
another one of Sara's design triumphs. I won't go into detail on
this room, except to say that it is lovely to look upon, not unlike
it's designer. One of the bedrooms is designated as
"Gene's music room". In this room, I keep a tool bench, a small
drill press and a bench grinder. This stuff isn't what you see when
first entering this room. Looking in the door, you see a good size
bookcase. Loaded floor to ceiling mostly with books. What a
suprise. You'll see to your left on the wall a a few meager examples
of my education, bands I've played in and the odd
poster. Below these pictures you'll see a book case loaded with all
sorts of guitar strings, effects pedals and live music doo-dads. Just
to the right of this is a Carvin electric guitar amp. I have yet to use
it on a live band gig. I would have to be playing a band to do this.
No bands for Gene anymore. At least for now.

To your right is my recording set-up. Microphones and a music
stand. On the wall are yet more music doodads,art work and a
sample CD of all the CD's I have played on including my stuff,
Sue Witty, Kid Sister and my pal David Glenn. I haven't described
all the other stuff in this room, either. Including several smaller
guitar amps, a meditation/prayer altar and slew of neck ties.
I only mention this because when people come in the "music
room" they don't see anything but the guitars. -"Jesus, do you
need all of those? Damn, how many do you have?" "I haven't
bothered to count them" I say. I think to myself, each one of them
has a story but I guess you might not want to hear them. Do you
tell your mechanic that he has too wrenches? The thing that
floors me about the "too many guitars" concept is that only
people who don't play feel the need to ask about the guitars.
At least they don't ask how much money I have in them. But,
for whom it may concern: not much. Really. But if I had some
money, I think I'd rather Sara have it for the house.
Besides, 42 guitars isn't really too many, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment